The faculty in the department actively engages in research and has achieved great accomplishments recognized by the government and other institutes. Some achievements are listed below:
- In 2002, the project "Micro/Nano Precision Measurement and Inspection in 3C Industries" was funded by Ministry of Education with an amount of 10 millions NTD.
- In 2003, the project "Building of a Nanotechnology Platform and Integration of the Biochips Technology" was funded by Ministry of Education with an amount of 15.7 millions NTD.
- In 2004, the project "Integration of Micro- and Nano-technologies with Micro-chips Applications" was approved and funded by Ministry of Education.
- In 2007-2008, the department has been participated in the project "Developing Reusable Energy through Micro- and Nano-technologies" approved and funded by Ministry of Education.
- The department joins "Northern Taiwan Incubation Center for Human Resource in Nanotechnology," which is also funded by Ministry of Education.
- The number of projects funded by National Science Council and the number of research papers published both have been the highest among all departments in TNU in the past several years. The department is also ranked among the best in those two categories when compared with other private institutes in the country.
Other than the fact that the department has several licensed facilities, certified by Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training, for national examinations of vocational skills in Lathe Machining, Mechanical Drafting, Filing, Computer Aided Drawing, and Computer Aided 3D Drawing, the department also has following expensive machines, instruments, and software:
- Precision manufacturing technologies: High Speed Engraving and Milling Machine, CNC Wire Cutter, Ultrasonic Machining System, Electric Discharge Machines, Computerized Plastic Injection Machine, CNC Machining Center, Surface Topography and Roughness Measurement System, Laser Measuring Machine, and Roundness Measurement System.
- Micro- and nano-technologies: Confocal High Vacuum Splatter, Multi-Mode Scanning Probe Microscope, Nano-Hardness Measurement System, Contact-Mode Atomic Force Microscope (AFM), Electro-Chemical AFM, Full Field Micro-Vibration Measurement System, TGA/DTA Thermal Analyzer, and High Temperature Sintering Furnace.
- Computer aided engineering: Epson C8500 Color Laser Printer, HP D-J750C Plus Plotter, AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidEdge, SolidWorks, I-DEAS, Pro/E Wildfire, MSC/NASTRAN, ANSYS, C-Mold, MoldFlow/MPI, and Star-CD.